I’m contributing over at Year Round Homeschooling today with a post about Unit Studies – what they are and how to make one yourself. So I thought I’d share our family’s unit study topics for the 2014-15 school year!
When we’re planning our homeschool year, we try to ask the children about the things they personally want to learn about. As you can imagine, we get all kinds of responses. 🙂
This time, though, we’re going to use their suggestions as the basis for our unit studies, which we’ll also be sharing with you during the year!
Animal Unit Study Topics
- Sea Life
Pooh’s list goes like this:
- Lions (He particularly wanted to know if they eat zebras.) 🙂
- Honey Badgers
Roo wants to learn about these animals:
- Insects: spiders, centipedes, cockroaches (I may need ya’ll to hold my hand as we learn about spiders…lol.)
Geography Unit Study Topics
World geography is a huge interest in our family, so the kids picked the following topics this year:
- India (Tigger)
- Japan (Tigger)
- China (Tigger)
- Chile (Tigger)
- Kids Around the World (Tigger)
- Australia (Pooh)
- Egypt (Pooh)
- New York City (Roo)
Science Unit Study Topics
The kids’ science topic list includes:
- Magnetism (Tigger)
- Composition of stars (Tigger)
- Trees (Roo)
- Flowers (Roo)
General Unit Study Topics
Then we have the following topics, which don’t really fit a particular category:
- International Dance Styles (Tigger)
- Musical Instruments (Tigger)
- Painting (Pooh)
- Construction (Roo)
Looks like it’ll be an interesting school year! 🙂
Other Unit Study Resources:
- The Ultimate List of Unit Study Resources – Sidetracked Sarah
- Should You Use Unit Studies? – Living Montessori Now
- Using Pinterest for Unit Studies – Look! We’re Learning!
- How to Plan a Unit Study – Our Journey Westward
Do you use unit studies in your homeschool? What will you be learning this year? We’d love to hear about your interests in the comments!
This post is part of the “Ultimate Back to School Linky” from Blessed Beyond a Doubt! Click over to read other back to school posts from great parenting bloggers!