Learning to count is one of the most important skills for early learners. After all, until you learn to count, you won’t be able to tell that your sibling got more cookies than you.
Which, if you ask any three-year-old, is one of the world’s greatest injustices.
We loved using manipulatives and printables to help our kids learn to count. But another wonderful resource for teaching counting is storybooks. And that’s why I wanted to share this list of adorable counting books for kids!
This list is full of cute kids’ books about counting that help children learn to count by 1s, 2s, 5s, and 10s – all the way to 100! They’re perfect for building literacy skills and math fluency at the same time.
Read on to see which counting books made the list! And for more practice with counting, check out our free printable Toy Counting to 100 flashcards!
20 Adorable Counting Books for Kids
This post contains affiliate links. For details, see our Disclosure Policy.
1. Anno’s Counting Book – by Mitsumasa Anno
2. Counting with Tiny Cat – by Viviane Schwarz
3. So Many Bunnies: A Bedtime ABC and Counting Book – by Rick Walton
4. Counting with a Ladybug – by DK Publishing
5. One Gorilla: A Counting Book – by Anthony Browne
6. Sheep Won’t Sleep: Counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s – by Judy Cox
7. Each Orange Had 8 Slices – by Paul Giganti, Jr.
8. 100 Bugs!: A Counting Book – by Kate Narita
9. Counting Our Way to Maine – by Maggie Smith
10. What Can You Spot?: Counting – by Max and Sid
11. On the Launchpad: A Counting Book about Rockets – by Michael Dahl
12. Push, Dig, Scoop!: A Construction Counting Rhyme – by Rhonda Gowler Greene
13. Ten Apples Up On Top! – by Dr. Seuss
14. How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten? – by Jane Yolen
15. Counting with Frida: A Bilingual Counting Book – by Patty Rodriguez
16. Curious George Learns to Count from 1 to 100 – by H.A. Rey
17. Butterfly Colors and Counting – by Jerry Pallotta
18. Counting Kisses: A Kiss and Read Book – by Karen Katz
19. 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo: A Counting Book – by Eric Carle
20. 12 Ways to Get to 11 – by Eve Merriam
Did you love this list of super cute counting books for kids? Don’t miss these other early math learning activities!
Get even more ideas for teaching early math on my Math Mania Pinterest board!