We’re sharing a brand new edition of our homeschool unit studies today with a free penguins unit study! Just in time to cover it this winter!
Penguins are super fun animals. If you get a chance to watch them interact, they’re playful and intelligent and incredibly considerate of one another. Whenever I see pictures of emperor penguins standing together to fight off the cold air, my heart practically explodes.
Read on to see some incredible facts you can learn about penguins – right along with the kids. And for more winter learning, don’t miss our All About Snowflakes unit study! It’s loaded with 30 pages of winter lessons for grades 1-4!
Penguins Unit Study
It’s not just adults. Kids love penguins too! So they’ll love learning about them this winter in this free penguins unit study! There are videos, crafts, books, and more for learning about how these incredible birds live and play!
Penguins Notebooking Pages
Start by collecting a set of printable penguin notebooking pages!
They’re perfect for jotting down facts, organizing ideas for a report, or writing a story about these cool birds!
To get your set free, sign up for our email newsletter! You’ll receive these and lots of other learning printables in our exclusive Subscriber Library!
Penguins Facts for Kids
On to learning about what makes a penguin a penguin! Watch the video below with the kids and then see if they can answer the questions that follow.
1. Are penguins warm-blooded or cold-blooded? (Answer: Warm-blooded)
2. How are penguins different from most birds? (Answer: They do not fly.)
3. Where do penguins lives? (Answer: Antarctica, Africa, South America, Australia, and the Galapagos Islands)
4. How many different species of penguins are there? (Answer: 17)
5. What is the smallest species of penguin? (Answer: Little Penguin/Blue Penguin)
6. What is the largest species of penguin? (Answer: Emperor Penguin)
7. How do penguins stay warm? (Answer: Thick layers of blubber and tightly packed feathers)
8. What do penguins eat? (Answer: Krill, fish, squid, and other small aquatic animals)
9. How many eggs do penguins lay each year? (Answer: One to two)
10. Why are penguins endangered? (Answer: Bad weather, habitat destruction, and overfishing by humans)
Penguins Books and Activities for Kids
Add these penguin books for kids and penguin activities for kids to your penguin unit study for a complete lesson! (This section contains affiliate links. For details, see our Disclosure Policy.)
1. Coffee Filter Penguin Craft – Look! We’re Learning!
2. Penny Penguin Finds Her Way Home by Philip J. Damiani
3. Marshmallow Penguin Snack – Eats Amazing
4. Penguin in Peril by Helen Hancocks
5. A Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
6. No-Sew Sock Penguin Craft – Easy Peasy and Fun
7. Be Brave, Little Penguin by Giles Andreae
8. Penguin Says “Please” by Michael Dahl
9. Waddling Penguin Craft – Buggy and Buddy
10. Penguin and Pinecone by Salina Yoon
For more penguin learning fun, don’t miss our roundup of even more Kids’ Books about Penguins!
And check out even more penguin crafts for kids too!
See more ways to learn about winter animals!
Plus get more ideas for winter learning on my Winter Activities for Kids Pinterest board!