Recently, the kids and I got to go to the Grand Canyon! Well, it was on YouTube, but still… 🙂
Actually, I’d love to take them one day, but for now we’ll have to “see” it by learning about it! Since I’ve never visited this natural wonder myself, I was amazed to learn more about it: how large it is, how it was formed, and what kinds of animals live there.
We collected some of the best resources we’ve found into this Grand Canyon unit study! I hope you and your kids love it as much as we did!
If you enjoy this, check out some of our other homeschool unit studies!
Grand Canyon Unit Study
The kids first started getting interested in the Grand Canyon as we read the book “Geronimo Stilton: The Race Across America“. The book talked a bit about the canyon, but the picture didn’t really do the canyon justice. So I had to look up some great resources to share with them. Here are some of the learning ideas we’ve found:
Books about the Grand Canyon:
Read about the Grand Canyon with these lovely children’s books!
- Where is the Grand Canyon? by Jim O’Connor
- Grand Canyon National Park by David Petersen
- Whose Tail on the Trail at the Grand Canyon? by Midji Stephenson
- The Grand Canyon (Wonders of America) by Marion Dane Bauer
- Good Night, Grand Canyon by Adam Gamble
- In the Canyon by Liz Garton Scanlon
- Zachary Z. Packrat Backpacks the Grand Canyon by Brooke Bessesen
- G is for Grand Canyon: An Arizona Alphabet by Barbara Gowan
- Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry
- Puzzler’s Guide to the Grand Canyon by Kristy McGowan
- Grand Canyon: A Trail Through Time by Linda Vieira
- Grand Canyon National Park (Road Trip) by Santana Hunt
- Grand Canyon National Park: Tail of the Scorpion by Mike Graf
- The Grand Adventure: A True Story of Survival and Determination by Mark A. Hicks
- Amazing Pictures and Facts About the Grand Canyon by Mina Kelly
Grand Canyon Crafts and Printables:
Try these printables and activities to turn this Grand Canyon unit study into a hands-on lesson!
- Grand Canyon Coloring Page – Education.com
- USA National Parks Notebooking Pages (incl. Grand Canyon) – Notebooking Pages
- Over the Canyon Craft – Crayola
- Grand Canyon Painting Lesson – Deep Space Sparkle
- Grand Canyon Rocks Lesson – National Park Service
Did you love these resources? We’ve put more together at Year Round Homeschooling, which is perfect if you’re planning a Grand Canyon unit soon!
Stop over at Year Round Homeschooling to read our Grand Canyon Unit Study!
Grand Canyon Unit Study – Year Round Homeschooling
Don’t miss these other geography learning ideas!
Get more tips for teaching geography on my Geography for Homeschoolers Pinterest board!