Based on the news, the Northeast is currently getting slammed by a massive blizzard. (Stay safe and warm if you’re up there!) If you’re studying the Northeast or the city of New York, you might like this New York City Unit Study!
Winter weather or not, New York City is a fascinating place. And most kids love the idea of the Big City, so you can use this homeschool unit study to introduce your kids to the Big Apple!
If you enjoy this unit, check out some of our other studies, including our Firefighters Unit Study and our Grand Canyon Unit Study!
New York City Unit Study
Since there are so many famous landmarks and geographical features in NYC, it can be tough to narrow them all down for a unit study!
We took a trip up there earlier this year and while we drove through the city, my conversation was basically “Oh, there’s the Brooklyn Bridge! Wait, there’s the Empire State Building! Kids, look! It’s the Hudson River!” Not the best way to learn about the city.
So I’m excited to share these activities and books that can help kids get a better understanding of what makes the city so special!
New York City Video Tour
Watch the following video about New York City and ask your kids to answer the questions below.
1. How many pizzerias are in New York City?
2. Name one special feature of the Empire State Building.
Answer: The top 30 floors change colors to represent seasons and events of the year.
3. How does the Whispering Gallery at Grand Central Station work?
Answer: A person can stand in one corner and hear what a person standing diagonally whispers into the wall.
4. When was the Atlantic Avenue subway tunnel built?
5. How many trees are in Central Park?
6. How many sculptures are in Central Park?
7. How many floors does a building need to be considered as a skyscraper?
Answer: 40 or more
Activities about New York City:
These kids’ activities about New York City can help kids learn more!
1. 3rd Grade: New York City History Worksheet – MacMillan Young Learners
2. 3rd Grade: NYC History Quiz – Education.com
3. Elementary: New York City Boroughs Activity – PBS
4. Elementary: Statue of Liberty Coloring Page – Super Coloring
5. K-12: Printable Map of Five Boroughs – Britannica Kids
Books about New York City:
These children’s books about New York City feature gorgeous illustrations and stories that will get kids excited about taking a trip to the Big Apple for themselves!
1. Pop-Up New York by Lonely Planet Kids
2. A Walk in New York by Salvatore Rubbino
3. Good Night, New York (Good Night, Our World) by Adam Gamble
4. This is New York by Miroslav Sasek
5. New York, New York: The Big Apple from A to Z by Laura Krauss Melmed
6. New York: A Book of Colors (Hello, World) by Ashley Evanson
7. New York City by Paula Hannigan
8. Larry Gets Lost in New York City by John Skewes
9. City Trails: New York by Lonely Planet Kids
10. ABC NYC: A Book About Seeing New York by Joanne Dugan
11. All Aboard! New York: A City Primer by Haily Meyers
12. New York City History for Kids: From New Amsterdam to the Big Apple with 21 Activities by Richard Panchyk
13. The Mystery in New York City (Real Kids, Real Places) by Carole Marsh
14. New York, Baby! by Ward Jenkins
15. New York for Kids: 25 Big Apple Sites to Color (Dover Coloring Books) by Patricia J. Wynne
If you want to see even more teaching ideas for your New York City unit, I shared a simple New York City Unit Study that features videos, books, and articles about NYC. Click on over to Year Round Homeschooling to get the details and use the unit with your kids!
New York City Unit Study – Year Round Homeschooling
Did you love this post? Check out these other ways to teach geography to your homeschoolers!
Plus, get more ideas on my Geography for Homeschoolers Pinterest board!