Today, we’re talking turtles!
Turtles are super cute animals, but they are also wonderfully designed. They come in several species, including box turtles, sea turtles, and loggerhead turtles.
There’s a lot more to learn about turtles and we’re sharing plenty of books, crafts, and learning ideas in this simple turtles unit study.
If you’re looking for a simple way to turn turtles into a simple unit study for homeschool or for early grades, you’ll love the turtle activities and lessons below.
Plus, there’s a printable collective animal nouns matching activity you can score for free!
Read on to see the full list of turtle learning ideas.
And, for more ways to learn about animals, take a look at our printable Animal Diets and Habitats Sorting Activity!
Turtles Unit Study for Kids
Sea Turtle Facts for Kids
Watch this video about sea turtles and ask your kids to answer the following questions.
- Where do sea turtles like to live? Answer: In warm, shallow water
- What is the only reason female turtles go onto land? Answer: To lay eggs
- How do sea turtles use their shells? Answer: As protection
- How much do leatherback sea turtles weigh when fully grown? Answer: As much as a small car!
- Why do we need to be careful where we throw garbage? Answer: Sea turtles can confuse plastic bags with food
Fun Kids’ Books about Turtles
Read these books about turtles with kids of all ages! (This post contains affiliate links. For details, see our Disclosure Policy.)
- Emma’s Turtle by Eve Bunting
- Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss
- National Geographic Readers: Sea Turtles by Laura Marsh
- One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder by Nicola Davies
See even more books about turtles for kids to read at the link below!
Fun Turtle Crafts for Kids to Make
These turtle crafts are so adorable and fun to make.
They make a wonderful addition to your turtles unit study, especially if you’re looking to add an arts and crafts project.
- Coffee Filter Turtle Craft – Look! We’re Learning!
- Paper Bowl Turtle Craft – I Heart Crafty Things
- Rock Turtle Craft – Easy Peasy and Fun
- Recycled Egg Carton Turtle Craft – Emma Owl
- Turtle Wine Cork Craft – Crafty Morning
Collective Animal Nouns Matching Activity
Turtles in a group are called a “bale”. Did you know that?
I sure didn’t.
And that got us curious about other names for groups of animals.
This printable collective animal noun matching activity is an easy way to learn about plural nouns and animals at the same time!
It would make a super addition to this turtles unit study too.
An answer key is also included for easy grading!
To get your copy, just click the link or the image below to have it sent directly to your inbox!
You’ll also get our weekly newsletter this Sunday.
Don’t miss these other fun ways to learn about animals!
This post is part of the A to Z Animals Blog Hop! Click the image below to see plenty of other animal learning posts!