For our latest post in our Homeschool Unit Studies series, we’re talking turtles! Turtles are super cute animals, but they are also wonderfully designed. They come in several species, including box turtles, sea turtles, loggerhead turtles, and more!
Help your kids learn about all these amazing animals in this Turtles unit study! There are books, crafts, and resources to help you teach turtles to tots!
Turtles Unit Study
Facts about Sea Turtles
Watch this video about sea turtles and ask your kids to answer the following questions.
- Where do sea turtles like to live? Answer: In warm, shallow water
- What is the only reason female turtles go onto land? Answer: To lay eggs
- How do sea turtles use their shells? Answer: As protection
- How much do leatherback sea turtles weigh when fully grown? Answer: As much as a small car!
- Why do we need to be careful where we throw garbage? Answer: Sea turtles can confuse plastic bags with food
Books about Turtles
Read these books about turtles with your kids!
- Emma’s Turtle by Eve Bunting
- Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss
- National Geographic Readers: Sea Turtles by Laura Marsh
- One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder by Nicola Davies
Turtle Crafts for Kids
These turtle crafts are so adorable and fun to make!
- Coffee Filter Turtle Craft – Look! We’re Learning!
- Paper Bowl Turtle Craft – I Heart Crafty Things
- Rock Turtle Craft – Easy Peasy and Fun
- Recycled Egg Carton Turtle Craft – Emma Owl
- Turtle Wine Cork Craft – Crafty Morning
Help your toddlers preschoolers practice their prewriting skills with this fun Tiny Turtles Prewriting Pack! It’s absolutely free! Click the image or link below to get it!
Don’t miss these other fun unit studies!
Plus, get more ideas for your units on my Unit Studies Pinterest board!
This post is part of the A to Z Animals Blog Hop! Visit the landing page to see plenty of other animal learning posts!