We’re getting into our study of classical music in our homeschool lessons, so we’re sharing children’s books about composers! These are perfect for circle time stories or unit study resources, especially if you want your kids to learn more about the music and the lives of these musicians.
While there are classical composers in this list, there are also kids’ books about modern composers, including the great Duke Ellington! If you enjoy these stories, be sure to check out the Duke Ellington unit in our ebook “We Got Jazz”!
Children’s Books about Composers
One of the most interesting things about many classical composers is that they often began their musical careers while they were still children. Mozart began composing at the age of five. Five! That’s some serious inspiration for kids who are interested in music. 🙂
Some of the activity books include coloring books and unit studies about composers. In fact, Stories of the Great Composers is one of the resources we’re using in our homeschool curriculum this year!
Picture Books about Composers
- The Extraordinary Music of Mr. Ives: The True Story of a Famous American Composer – Joanne Stanbridge
- George Frederic Handel – Mildred Clary
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue – Anna Harwell Celenza
- Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince And His Orchestra – Andrea Davis Pinkney
- Secret Lives of Great Composers: What Your Teachers Never Told You about the World’s Musical Masters – Elizabeth Lunday
- Sebastian: A Book About Bach – Jeanette Winter
- The Other Mozart: The Life of the Famous Chevalier de Saint-George – Hugh Brewster
- Becoming Bach – Tom Leonard
- The Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, Music, and the Composers Who Wrote the Music! – Robert Levine
- Why Beethoven Threw the Stew (And Lots More Stories About the Lives of Great Composers) – Steven Isserlis
Nonfiction and Activity Books about Composers
- Stories of the Great Composers – June Montgomery & Maurice Hinson
- Getting to Know the World’s Great Composers: Ludwig Von Beethoven – Mike Venezia
- Great Composers Coloring Book – John Green & Paul Negri
- Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? – Yona Zeldis McDonough & Carrie Robbins
- Duke Ellington: His Life in Jazz – Stephanie Stein Crease
- World of Composers: Verdi – Greta Cencetti
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Getting to Know the World’s Great Composers – Mike Venezia
- Vivaldi’s Four Seasons – Anna Harwell Celenza
- 18th Century Superstar: Mozart (Time for Kids Nonfiction Series) – Georgia Beth
- Johannes Brahms: Getting to Know the World’s Great Composers – Mike Venezia
Do you have any favorite resources for introducing classical composers to kids? Do you have any suggestions for great children’s books about composers? Let us know in the comments!
If you enjoy these stories, check out our other ideas for teaching music and art to homeschoolers!
And don’t miss your chance to learn more about introducing kids to jazz with our We Got Jazz unit study ebook! It’s packed with over 120 pages of music history and activities about jazz greats such as Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, and more!
For more tips to make your kids into readers, check out my Reading for Kids board on Pinterest!
Want to get more ideas for making homeschooling fun? Sign up for our email newsletter to get plenty of homeschool tips and resources in your inbox!