Do you have bread crumbs in your pantry and you have no idea what to do with them? I’ve been guilty of keeping bread crumbs in my freezer FOR MONTHS without ever using them. (I know, I know.)
I got the chance to try out Progresso Bread Crumbs at Publix this week and I’ve found that there are lots of ways to use bread crumbs in my cooking. Today I’m sharing 10 simple recipes with bread crumbs, including a super healthy lunch that is great for busy moms!
Super Easy Healthy Breaded Fish Recipe
Bread crumbs don’t have to be boring! Recently I got to try two of Progresso’s bread crumb varieties:
Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs— The savory herb flavor, lightly toasted taste and finely ground texture are perfect for your favorite family recipes.
Progresso Panko Bread Crumbs— Panko is a Japanese style bread crumb with larger flaky crumbs that create a light and crunchy coating that is perfect for breading fish, poultry, pork, seafood and vegetables. It can be used to add a delicious crispy topping on baked dishes such as macaroni, casseroles, and even works well on many desserts.
For my breaded fish, I used the Italian Style bread crumbs. I love that they’re already seasoned, so I can skip the extra salt!
1 flounder fillet
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
I poured about 1/4 cup of bread crumbs into a pie plate. Then I poured about 1/2 cup of almond milk into a cake pan. You use what you have, right? 🙂
Then I dipped my flounder fillet into the almond milk, making sure to coat both sides.
Next, I added the breading by dredging the fish in the bread crumbs on both sides.
I added enough oil to a skillet to coat the bottom and heated it until the pan was good and hot.
Then I just added the fish and cooked it for about 5 minutes on each side. Done!
To fill out my meal, I paired the fish with spinach and tomato tossed with balsamic vinegar and some cantaloupe chunks.
Just look at that breading. Oh my.
10 Simple Recipes with Bread Crumbs
Need some bread crumb recipe ideas? Try these 10 suggestions!
- Make meatloaf. Bread crumbs are a great stabilizer for holding your meatloaf together. Mix a pound of ground beef with egg and bread crumbs and bake.
- Make meatballs. Use bread crumbs to shape meatballs and then cook with them with spaghetti! A kids’ favorite!
- Make fish sticks. Dredge the fish in milk and the bread crumbs and bake them to skip the extra fat of frying. Progresso Panko Bread Crumbs are great for this, because the crumbs are fine and they brown quickly.
- Make chicken tenders. Dip chicken tenders in milk, egg, then bread crumbs to make them extra crunchy!
- Make pasta sauce. Toasted bread crumbs and butter make a fabulous, simple pasta sauce. (Using preseasoned bread crumbs such as Progresso’s Italian Style Bread Crumbs saves time on this one.)
- Make zucchini fries. Dip zucchini strips in milk, egg, then bread crumbs, and bake them.
- Make cheese sticks. You can roll mozzarella cheese sticks in egg, then bread crumbs, and fry them for an indulgent treat.
- Make “fried” shrimp. Shrimp tastes great breaded. Use bread crumbs instead of cornmeal and bake your shrimp instead of actually frying them.
- Make vegetable casserole. Saute some fresh vegetables, such as yellow squash, onion, and broccoli. Mix them with heavy cream and cheddar cheese, then top with bread crumbs and bake for about 30 minutes. Delicious!
- Make crabcakes. Use jumbo lump crab meat, egg, and bread crumbs to shape crabcakes. Bake them for about 10 minutes.
And now it’s time for the goodies! 🙂
Grab your coupon to save on Progresso Bread Crumbs! You can save $1.00 off any TWO Progresso Bread Crumbs varieties!
Plus, you can enter below for your chance to win $15 in Paypal Cash! That way, you can experience Progresso Bread Crumbs for yourself! Just use the Giveaway Tools widget to enter.
Disclosure: The information, products, and Publix gift cards were provided by General Mills through Linqia.