Down here in the South, it’s pretty common to see farms and farming equipment. My youngest boy is smack dab in the middle of the “I love everything mechanical” phase, so he was excited about learning how farm equipment works.
I made this harvest unit study with him in mind. But it would be a great one of our homeschool unit studies for any kid, especially during fall!
Homeschool Unit Studies: Harvest Unit Study
Harvest Notebooking Pages
Pick up these free harvest notebooking pages to use with this unit! Kids can use these printables to organize the facts they learn about harvest time from the video below or from the books you share together.
What Happens At Harvest Time?
Watch the wheat harvesting video and let the kids try to the answer the questions that follow.
- What does the rotating wheel on the front of the combine do? (Answer: It pulls the wheat toward the sharp blades. The blades cut the wheat.)
- What happens inside the combine? (Answer: The wheat heads are cut from the stalks. Then the heads are sifted to remove the chaff, leaving grains of wheat.)
- How is the wheat chaff reused? (Answer: The chaff is tossed out of the combine back onto the ground. It will be reused to make straw bales.)
- What happens once the combine’s storage tank is full of wheat? (Answer: The driver turns on a flashing light to call a tractor. The driver dumps the wheat out of the storage tank into the tractor’s trailer.)
- What happens to the wheat inside the storehouse? (Answer: Drivers use trucks to collect all of the wheat into a neat pile.)
- How much wheat can the combine harvest in one hour? (Answer: Enough to make over 70,000 loaves of bread)
- What does the baler do? (Answer: Collects the wheat straw from the ground and forms it into blocks. This straw will be used for animal bedding during winter.)
What is a Harvest Moon?
Ever heard of the “harvest moon”? What is one and how did it get its name? This video is a neat (and brief!) explanation!
Harvest Activities for Kids:
These fun harvest activities for kids are a wonderful way to add some hands-on learning to this unit study!
1. Apple Harvest Scissor Skills Printables – Toddler to K
2. Harvest Play Fall Sensory Bin – Toddler to K
3. Alphabet Letter Harvest Game – Toddler to K
4. Apple Harvest Pom-Pom Tree Craft – Toddler to K
5. Coffee Filter Pumpkin Craft – Toddler to K
6. Paper Plate Corn Craft – Toddler to K
7. Apple Tree Playdough Counting Mat – Toddler to K
8. The Little Red Hen Retelling Sensory Activity – Toddler to K
9. DIY Pumpkin Slime – Toddler to K
10. Coffee Filter Apple Craft – Toddler to K
11. Apple Tree Circle Game – Toddler to K
12. Cardboard Apple Tree Craft – Toddler to K
13. Apple Counting Puzzles – Preschool
14. Pumpkin Measuring Math Activity – Preschool
15. Pumpkin Ordinal Number Worksheets – Preschool to Grade 1
16. Printable Corn Counting Book – Preschool to Grade 1
17. Apple Array Math Practice Worksheets – Grade 2
18. Pinecone Apple Necklace – Elementary
19. Colored Corn Mosaic Art – ALL AGES
20. Corncob Harvest Craft – ALL AGES
21. Harvest Pumpkin Watercolor Art Project – ALL AGES
And don’t miss our list of harvest books for kids to read!
Check out these other resources for fall learning!
Get exclusive learning tips and printables when you sign up for our email newsletter! Just use the widget below to get started.
And see more fun fall ideas on my Fall Activities for Kids Pinterest board!