Today we’re sharing another one of our homeschool unit studies! We’ve already talked about hibernation and this time I wanted to share some information we’ve found about how animals make their homes in various environments.
Read on to check out our Animal Homes Unit Study!
Kids love to learn about where animals live. And, really, it is fascinating to study how different kinds of animals adapt to their environments and manage to raise their young, no matter the climate in which they live. Personally, I don’t think I could get by without heating and air conditioning, but that’s another story…
Homeschool Unit Studies: Animal Homes Unit Study
We started by learning about different animal homes in The Usborne World of Animals (part of our BookShark Level 1 curriculum).
As our lesson plan suggested, we went out to explore animal homes in our local area.
We saw this eight-legged guy living in a tree.
We even found insects living under a fallen tree branch on the ground.
Naturally, we couldn’t leave it there. So we went to the zoo to see even more animal habitats.
There were birds living in trees…
…and in the Arctic!
We saw elephants living on the savanna.
And alligators living in swamps.
The kids thought it was cool that animal homes look so different from one place to another. And, as we learned, the homes vary by region and by species.
So one animal in the rainforest has a certain kind of home, while a different animal has a different kind of home that suits its needs.
But an animal that lives in the rainforest may have a very different home than a related animal that lives in our area.
As our BookShark lesson pointed out, this is no different than people. Different people have different kinds of homes based on where they live and their specific needs.
Animal Homes Notebooking Pages
As you and the kids learn more about different animal homes and habitats, grab these free notebooking pages to write down your discoveries!
To download your set, sign up for our email newsletter! You’ll get access to these and other exclusive subscriber freebies when you enroll using the widget below.
Animal Homes Unit Study Video
To learn more about animal habitats, check out this video and see if the kids can answer the questions that follow!
1. What is a habitat? (Answer: The area where something lives)
2. What do animals need to live? (Answer: Food, water, shelter, and space to live)
3. What is the food chain? (Answer: The model that describes the flow of energy between living things)
4. What is a food web? (Answer: Tangled system that includes every plant and animal in a habitat)
5. Do food webs and food chains look the same all over the world? (Answer: No, they are different, depending on the conditions in each habitat.)
Animal Homes Books and Activities for Kids
Try the following affiliate animal habitat books and animal habitat activities to add to your Animal Homes unit study!
1. Sea Monster Notebooking Pages – Look! We’re Learning!
3. Habitat Sensory Bins – Mama’s Happy Hive
4. Welcome Home, Bear: A Book of Animal Habitats by Il Sung Na
5. Animal Habitat Mural – True Aim Education
6. I See a Kookaburra!: Discovering Animal Habitats Around the World by Steve Jenkins
7. Farm Shoebox Diorama – Look! We’re Learning!
8. Scholastic: Matching Animals & Habitats Lace-Up Cards by Maria Chang
Don’t miss these other science-based unit studies for kids!
To get even more ideas for your homeschool unit studies, follow my Unit Studies board on Pinterest!