Summer. It’s the most wonderful time of the year for playing outside.
We live in the South and it. gets. hot. But that’s never stopped our kids from wanting to be outside playing every game imaginable.
After a while, though, the same old games just don’t do it for them anymore.
And that’s why I wanted to find some awesome fun in the sun ideas for outdoor play in summer.
Below, you’ll find 60, count’em, SIXTY different summer outdoor play ideas for kids.
And they are awesome!
They can make their own bubble wands, create slime that fizzes, build mud kitchens, and much more!
You can get also get a printable preschool summer activity calendar free! Read on to see how to score this for this summer.
And if you need more ways to make summer fun, check out our list of 40 simple summer crafts kids can make!
60 Awesome Outdoor Play Ideas for Summer
Several of these summer play ideas for kids also feature learning concepts, such as STEM engineering, art, math, sensory play, and more.
So you can play while giving kids a little more learning. Trust me, they’ll never know.
If you try some of these with your kids, I’d love to hear which ones they loved the most!
1. DIY Fizzy Slime – Look! We’re Learning!
2. How to Make a Kite – Red Ted Art
3. Driveway Shape Maze – Creative Family Fun
4. Backyard Olympics – Kid World Citizen
5. DIY Rockets for Kids – Frogmom
6. Wet Chalk Color Mixing – School Time Snippets
7. Catapult Splat Painting – There’s Just One Mommy
8. Squirt Gun Painting – Fireflies and Mudpies
9. DIY Mud Kitchen – Megan Zeni
10. Sidewalk Paint Rockets – Gluesticks
11. Recycled Chalk Paint – Rhythms of Play
12. Splash the Alphabet – Days with Grey
13. Ocean Sensory Bin – Frogs and Fairies
14. DIY Obstacle Course for Kids – Buggy and Buddy
15. Outdoor Rainbow Weaving – Where Imagination Grows
16. Summer Paint Sensory Play – Mama Smiles
17. How to Make DIY Bubble Wands and Homemade Bubbles – Natural Beach Living
18. Rainbow Windsock Craft – Kids Craft Room
19. Pool Noodle Boat Racing Game – See Vanessa Craft
20. Bouncy Ball Process Art Painting – School Time Snippets
21. Colorful Moon Sand – Look! We’re Learning!
22. Cardboard Arc de Triomphe Craft – Non-Toy Gifts
23. $1 Soda Bottle Sprinkler – Gluesticks
24. Plant a Pollinator Garden – Outdoor Families Online
25. Watermelon Fizzy Science Activity and Sensory Play – Natural Beach Living
26. Look Inside a Volcano Project – 123 Homeschool 4 Me
27. Amazing Hand Bubbles – The Craft Train
28. Playground Scavenger Hunt – KC Edventures
29. Water Balloon Bash – Fireflies and Mudpies
30. Water Table Play – Creating Creatives
31. Garden Xylophone – The Moments at Home
32. Alphabet Ice Boats – School Time Snippets
33. Sidewalk Puffy Paint – Fun Learning for Kids
34. Clay Sculptures – Red Ted Art
35. Mud Pie Nature Art – Rhythms of Play
36. Silly Races – Creative Family Fun
37. Salt Art Project – Buggy and Buddy
38. Sea Animals Party Game – There’s Just One Mommy
39. How to Make Chalk – 123 Homeschool 4 Me
40. Frog Habitat Garden – The Craft Train
41. Sidewalk Chalk Math Game – Look! We’re Learning!
42. Ice Excavating – Gluesticks
43. DIY Craft Stick Peg Doll Boat for Kids – Rhythms of Play
44. Dinosaur Dig Excavation Activity – Fun Learning for Kids
45. Backyard Treasure Hunt – Kid World Citizen
46. Build a Dinosaur Garden – Megan Zeni
47. Beach Detective Game – Kids Craft Room
48. Outdoor Scavenger Hunt – Buggy and Buddy
49. Pop Rock Science Experiment – 123 Homeschool 4 Me
50. Pond Sensory Bin – In Our Pond
51. Cardboard Car Wash – Non-Toy Gifts
52. Fish Ice Play Activity – Messy Little Monster
53. DIY Outdoor Chalkboard – Rhythms of Play
54. Build a Stick Maze – Mother Natured
55. GIANT Bubble Solution – 123 Homeschool 4 Me
56. Color-Changing Sidewalk Chalk – Frogs and Fairies
57. Outdoor Creative Art Station – Where Imagination Grows
58. Photo Scavenger Hunt – KC Edventures
59. Pine Cone Trail Outdoor Activity – Preschool Toolkits
60. DIY Water Wall – There’s Just One Mommy
Printable Summer Activity Calendar for Preschoolers
This list of summer outdoor play ideas is awesome for filling up summer with kids of all ages.
But if you’re trying to keep preschoolers happy, you’re working with a unique crowd.
I’ve been there.
Which is where this printable preschool summer activity calendar can be a life saver!
This printable calendar features 12 early themes with a different activity to try each day. Planning done!
To get this printable preschool summer activity calendar, click the image or the link below to have it sent directly to your inbox!
You’ll also get our weekly newsletter – coming up this Sunday!
Check out these other summer ideas!