When we start a new homeschool year, I’m always interested to see how my kids respond to the math curriculum I choose. Since we’re teaching kids with ADHD, I try to use various kinds of curriculum to see what works best for their attention spans and their difficulties with concentration.
So when I first discovered Life of Fred, I was thrilled. My oldest daughter, who has ADD, is a voracious reader. But she is NOT a fan of math.
Which is just fine because Life of Fred is NOT a set of math textbooks. If it was, she would have lost interest long ago. But she has loved these books and the concepts she’s learned as a result and that’s why we’ve kept them in rotation during the school year, even as she’s moved on to higher grades.
Read on to find out about the Life of Fred math books available for homeschool students. Plus, enter to win five Life of Fred math books yourself!
Life of Fred Math Books for Homeschool
Life of Fred is a series of storybooks about Fred, an unusual five-year-old. In fact, he’s the youngest professor ever in the history of Kittens University.
The stories tell us about what happens during Fred’s day-to-day life. In the first book, Fred wakes up in the morning and gets out of his sleeping bag (located in his office at Kittens University) and reads the clock to tell what time it is.
As the books go on, Fred’s days become more complex as he goes jogging, studies constellations, learns to read music, and even tries to assemble a bicycle he orders through the mail. All the while, mathematical concepts are introduced and practiced without kids really even noticing. (They’re far too interested in what happens to Fred.)
The books are separated by grade level, beginning with the Life of Fred Elementary Series, which includes the following four books:
These are described as elementary level books, because they focus on the basic operations of arithmetic: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They also introduce number theory, rounding, skip counting, shapes, and more.
For middle school-aged children, Life of Fred math books for homeschool include:
There’s also an Life of Fred Intermediate Series (for middle school) that includes the following books:
In the Intermediate Series, the books take a big leap forward and tackle more advanced math topics, such as geometry, finding averages, and even the Pythagorean Theorem. Like the Elementary Series, though, these books introduce the topics so gently kids won’t have a chance to feel overwhelmed.
Each chapter is only about six pages long (perfect for short attention spans!) and there are a few questions for kids to practice some of the concepts they learned in the chapter. There are also answer keys for each practice section. Plus, the books are written at grade-appropriate levels, so kids can read them on their own. It’s reading and mathematics all in one!
Want to see more ways to make math fun in your homeschool? Check out these ideas!
And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to get educational printables, freebies, and tips in your email inbox!
Now for the REALLY big news! We’re giving away five Life of Fred math books! Read to the bottom for your chance to enter!
28 homeschool bloggers have joined together to provide one massive back-to-homeschool basket giveaway! Take a peek around these 28 sites and enter to win as many baskets as you like. Each blogger is conducting her own giveaway, so you never know…you may end up winning more than one!
(1) Our Favorite Literature by Geek Families
(2) Ocean Learning Gift Basket by See Jamie Blog
(3) Getting Back to Homeschool Bundle Giveaway by Renée at Great Peace
(4) Back to High School Giveaway Basket by BJ’s Homeschool
(5) Hands-On Learning Basket by Homeschool Hideout
(6) Box of Preschool Busy Bags by Happy Brown House
(7) Middle School Homeschool Curriculum Giveaway by Starts At Eight
(8) Life of Fred Math Books Gift Basket by Look! We’re Learning!
(9) Medieval England Unit Study Basket by Table Life Blog
(10) Favorite Homeschool Things With a Texas Twist by Classic Housewife
(11) Bible Study for Kids giveaway by Adventures in Mommydom
(12) Back to Homeschool Morning Time Gift Basket by Everyday Graces
(13) Mom’s Quiet Time Gift Basket Giveaway by Embracing Destiny
(14) Five Days of Fine Motor Fun by This Outnumbered Mama
(15) Plan to Play Basket by Hide The Chocolate
(16) Middle and High School Living Book Lover’s Delight! by Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool Plus
(17) American History & Government Back to School Pack by Blog, She Wrote
(18) Create Your Family Mission Statement by Not So Formulaic
(19) The Home Education Road Map Scholarship Homeschool Giveaway by Grace, Grow & Edify
(20) Homeschooling Through the Seasons Basket by Amy’s Wandering
(21) Elephant and Piggie Favorite Book Characters Giveaway by Line upon Line Learning
(22) Back to Homeschool Giveaway 2017 by That Bald Chick
(23) Back to School Shopping Spree by Sallie Borrink
(24) Travel the Globe with a World Geography Gift Basket by Eva Varga
(25) Getting Started with Home Education by My Little Robins
(26) Back to Homeschool Online Music Course Giveaway by I Choose Joy!
(27) Growing Science Resource Basket by The Learning Hypothesis
I’m excited to announce that we’re giving away FIVE!!! Life of Fred books to one of our readers! The winner will receive:
- Life of Fred Apples
- Life of Fred Butterflies
- Life of Fred Decimals and Percents
- Life of Fred Fractions
- and Life of Fred Kidneys!
So if you have elementary or middle-school students this year, this is the giveaway for you! Just use the Giveaway Tools widget below to enter!