Since we have a sixth grader this year (our first middle schooler!), I’ve been looking around for great kids’ books for her age range for some time.
If you have a tween, I don’t have to tell you that it actually seems as if you’re parenting two different children: one that acts about 20 and one that acts about 6. My daughter switches between both age levels almost simultaneously.
I really wanted her to progress to reading thought-provoking books this year, but I also want her to indulge her silly side a bit. So I put together this homeschool reading list for 6th grade. There are serious and eye-opening selections, as well as some playful ones – perfect for both sides of the tween mind.
Be sure to see our preschool reading list and our third grade reading list for this year also!
Image c/o: robertsrob / depositphotos
Homeschool Reading List for 6th Grade
1. The View from Saturday – E.L. Konigsburg
2. Miracle’s Boys – Jacqueline Woodson
3. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
5. Homeless Bird – Gloria Whelan
6. The Skin I’m In – Sharon G. Flake
7. Bud, Not Buddy – Christopher Paul Curtis
8. Dork Diaries #1: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life – Rachel Renee Russell
9. M.C. Higgins, The Great – Virginia Hamilton
10. Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life – James Patterson
11. Sounder – William H. Armstrong
12. Out of My Mind – Sharon M. Draper
Don’t miss our other book lists!
Plus, get more tips for raising readers on my Reading for Kids Pinterest board!