As the weather warms, we start to see frogs in our neighborhood.
Since we live in the South, we have fairly wet springs and humid summers. So we always have frogs sticking to the back of our patio door from April to September.
If you’ll be studying animals with your class during spring, this simple frog unit is an easy way to introduce your students to these amphibians!
Below you’ll see a frog facts video, frog activities for kids, and a few frog books to read as well.
Be sure to check out our printable Frog Life Cycle Sequencing Activity too!
Simple Frog Unit for Early Elementary Students
Get to know more about frogs with this simple frog facts for kids video from the San Diego Zoo!
After watching it with your students, ask the questions that follow and see if they can recall the answers.
- What does the word amphibian mean? (Answer: double life)
- How do frogs breathe in the water? (Answer: Through their skin.)
- Where do most frogs live? (Answer: In the tropical rainforest.)
- What is camouflage? (Answer: Colors and markings that help frogs blend in to their surroundings.)
- How do frogs move around? (Answer: By hopping and climbing)
- How do frogs’ feet stick? (Answer: The mucus between the bumps on their toes helps them stick to surfaces.)
- Why do frogs have webbed feet? (Answer: It helps them swim.)
- What do frogs eat? (Answer: Insects, snails, worms, and spiders)
Fun Frog Activities for Early Elementary Students
Extend your lesson about frogs with these early elementary frog activities for kids!
- Frog Life Cycle Mini Coloring Book
- Frog Count One More and One Less Lesson
- Frog Life Cycle Sequencing Activity
Frog Books for Early Elementary Learners
When you’re ready to teach your class some frog facts for kids, these books can help!
They’re filled with colorful pictures that make learning about these animals engaging for young readers.
Note: Affiliate links are used below. For details, see our Disclosure Policy.
- The Wide-Mouthed Frog by Keith Faulkner
- National Geographic Kids: Explore My World – Frogs
- I Am A Frog by Rebecca and James McDonald
- Fanatical about Frogs by Owen Davey
- DK: Everything You Need to Know about Frogs and Other Slippery Creatures
See even more frog books for early learners in our roundup of preschool books about frogs!
When you’re preparing to teach your students about amphibians, this unit about frogs can help make your lesson planning a breeze.
Did you enjoy this simple frog unit for early elementary? Take a look at these other spring learning ideas!